And the Winners of the 2017 EU Pro Bono Awards are…
1. The Migration Law Clinic of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam in cooperation with DLA Piper Amsterdam, Mirjam van Riel (asylum lawyer) and the Dutch Council for Refugees (VluchtelingenWerk Nederland) for the project:“Assessing Dutch evidentiary policy in Eritrean family reunification cases in the light of the Family Reunification Directive”.
2. Arnold Porter in cooperation with Trans Pensions Group, The Scottish Trans Alliance and the Lithuanian NGO “LGL”/ ILGA Europe for the project: “Using EU law to increase the protection of transgender rights and recognition of a change of gender across the EU”.
2 (ex aequo). Jeremy Charles (sole practitioner) for the project: “Enhancing Transparency around the EU’s Transparency Register”.
Congratulations to all participants!
The EU Pro Bono Awards comprise five different categories:
1. Best Pro Bono Collaboration of the Year rewarding joint pro bono public interest work carried out by a law firm, an academic and an NGO in the field of EU Law and policy
2. EU Pro Bono Award for Law Firms rewarding the commitment of one or more law firms to pro bono in the field of EU Law and policy (sub-categories will cover small/medium law firms, large law firms, and individual lawyers
3. EU Pro Bono Award for In-House Counsels rewarding the commitment of one in- house counsel and team to pro bono in the field of EU Law and policy
4. EU Pro Bono Award for Academics rewarding the commitment of one or more academics to pro bono public interest work in the field of EU Law and policy
5. EU Pro Bono Award for NGOs rewarding a successful co-operation between a civil society organisation and a pro bono volunteer in the field of EU Law and policy
For the first edition of the EU Pro Bono Awards, the Award for the Best Pro Bono Collaboration of the Year between a law firm and/or academic and a civil society organisation will be given. This collaboration should have been conducted at the EU level or have implications for the EU sphere.
The winner will be afforded with the opportunity to present the successful project during the Award ceremony on June 22nd 2017 in Brussels.